The stones of William
William Welsh of
Kirkpatrick and another Dumfries man, William (also
known as John) Grier or Grierson, were captured at the
battle of Rullion Green in
November 1666. It was decided that some of the prisoners
should be sent back to their home towns there to be
executed as a salutory lesson to any other would be
rebels. They were hung on 2 January 1667.
The inscription tells us
that Welsh`s head was cut off and put on view above the
town gates – The Bridge Port.. It begins with a favourite
inscription ” Stay Passenger ” meaning passer by ..
STAY, PASSENGER, AND READ
HERE INTERR`D DOTH LY
A WITNESS GAINST POOR
WHOSE HEAD ONCE FIX`D UP
ON THE BRIDGE PORT STOOD
FOR HIS GUILTLESS BLOOD
Back to Old Mortality stones.