Rev  John 

stories  of  the  Covenanters  and  the  bloody  Killing  Time 
understandably  focus  on  the  western  shires  of  Scotland  but  it 
must  be  remembered  that  there  were  Covenanters  in  other  less 
glamorous  parts.  Such  was  John  Livingston  of  Ancrum  in  the 
Border  country  with  England. Here  too  the  persecutors  caused  the 
removal  of a  gentle  man  from  his  ministry  in  October  1662.

Livingston  was  born in  Kilsyth  in  1603, the  son  of  William  and 
Agnes Livingstone,  minister  at  Kilsyth  and  later in Lanark.  One  of 
seven  children the young  John was   raised in  an  environment  of 
piety  and  meekness  on  his  mother`s  side  and  his father a zealous 
worker  for  the  Reformation.  As  a  schoolboy  in Sterling  he  was  a
member  of  the  church, although  his  early  inclination  was  to  be 
a  doctor.. His  parents  were  kind  and  generous  and  enjoyed  giving 
hospitality  to  Christians  visiting  the  area, so  he  was able  to 
meet  many  notable  men and  women of  the  time. His  mother, however,
died  when he  was  fourteen, and  she  only  thirty  two.  He  continued 
his  education  at  Glasgow  College ( as the University was called ) 
graduating  in 1621 and  in  1625  turned  to  the  ministry –  where  he 
soon  encountered  persecution. For  a  while  he  stayed  with  his 
father  and  making  visits  to  preach  when he  was  asked. In  April
1626  Lord  Kenmuir in Galloway  sought  him to take  the  parish  of 
Anwoth, but  he did  not  do so nor  was  he  successful  in a  call  to 
Torpichen the following  year. He  then  accepted  invitations  to 
preach  in  Lanark, Irvine,  and Newmilns 

1630  seems 
to  have  been  a  year  of  change  and the turning  point for  John 
Livingstone. In  June  1630  he  was  asked  to  step  in  at  short 
notice  for  a  preacher  at  Kirk o Shotts  which  he  reluctantly  did. 
On  30 June  the  virtually  unknown  young  man stood  on a  gravestone 
and  began  his  preaching. As  he  approached its  end  the  Heavens 
opened  and  there  was  a  downpour  which  threatened  to  break  up 
the  meeting.  But  such  was  Livingston`s  powerful  presence  that 
the  assembled  crowd  stood  a  further  hour  as  he  used  the 
conditions  to  demonstrate the  despair  and  horror  of  fire  and 
brimstone  in  God`s  judgment  upon  them. It is said  that  over  five 
hundred  people  felt  a  change  in  their  attitudes  as  a  result  of 
the  Kirk O`Shotts  revival.

 A  youthful 
and  able  speaker, although  diffident  about  his  abilities,   he  was 
sought  by  several  congregations  to  be  their  minister but  in  the
five  years  to 1630  he  found  none  as  on  each occasion  his  way 
was  blocked  by  the  Bishops.  His  first  parish  was  an  Irish  one,
at  Killinchy, County Down  This  came  about  through a  meeting  in 
Irvine, Ayrshire  with  the Rev  Robert  Cunningham  of  Holywood, near 
Belfast  and  earlier with  the Rev  George Dunbar  of  Larne ( formerly
of Ayr  and  a  prisoner  at  Blackness for a while ). Both  had 
enquired  if  he  would  be  interested  in  going  to  Ireland  and  he 
had  indicated  on both  occasions  he  would  go  if  he  received a 
clear  call  and  free  entry.

August  1630   he  received  an  invitation  from  Viscount Claneboy  to 
go  to  Killinchy in Ulster to join
the growing band of Presbyterian ministers there. At Killinchy  he  was  well  received  by  the  congregation 
and  had  to  be  ordained. To  achieve this  he  went  with  letters  to 
the  Rev Andrew  Knox, Bishop  of  Raphoe  who  well  knew  what  was 
required and  after  discussion  gave  Livingston  a book  of  ordination 
with  instruction  to  mark  that  to  which  he  objected. The price 
sought for  ordination  was  that he  should preach  at  Ramallen  where
they  got  but  few  sermons.  He  found  that  the  book  had  already 
been  marked  and  did  not  have  to do it  himself, thus  with  his
conscience clear,  he submitted to the Rev Robert  Cunninham  and  some 
other  ministers  to  ` imposition  of the hands `  and  ordination for 
the  ministry at Killinchy.

however, soon  came  upon  him  through  the  vindictiveness  of  the 
Irish  Bishops. With  Robert  Blair  he  was  suspended  by  the  Bishop 
of  Down  for  nonconformity.  They  were  eventually  allowed  to 
return  to  their  ministry  in 1632  following  intervention  with the
King  by  Lord  Castlestuart.  In  November  1635  he  again  fell  foul 
of  the  Bishops  and  was  again  suspended  then  excommunicated.

With  this
ongoing  persecution  of  the  Presbyterians  and  no  early  solution 
in  sight John  Livingston  was  instrumental  in  negotiations  with 
landowners – the  Clotworthy  family  especially,  and  John  Winthrop,
son  of  the  Governor  of  Massachusetts  concerning  a  plan  to 
emigrate. From  the  plan  came  the  building  of  the  ship  the 
“ Eaglewing “  and  the  attempt  by  some  140  brave  souls  to  seek 
their  promised  land  in 1636. Unfortunately  for  them  they  were 
forced  to  return  by  bad  weather  and  John  Livingston  was 
returned  to  the  Covenanting  fold but  not before  baptising  a  child 
born  on  the  return  trip  to Michael Coltheard  and  his  wife, naming 
him  Seaborn. – reminiscent  of  the  child  Oceanus  Hopkins  born  on
board  the  Mayflower. in  that  epic  voyage  in 1620.

 For  some
time Livingston  continued  to  discharge  his  duties  privately,
residing  at  the  home  of  his  mother  in  law, Mrs  Stevenson  who 
owned  the  iron  furnace  at  Malone, twelve  miles  from  Kilinchy 
where  he  continued  to  preach  almost  every  Sabbath.  However, a 
warrant  was  issued  for  his  arrest  and he  retired  to  Irvine  on 
the  Ayrshire  coast., from  where he  went  to  Edinburgh.  In March
1638  he  went  to  London  but  the  King  had  apparently  heard  he 
was  there  and  he  again  had  to  retreat  and  return  to  Scotland 
by  a  circuitous  route  to  avoid  any  pursuers.  On  5  July  1638 
he  was  admitted  as  the  minister  at Stranraer .  While  here  its 
is  recorded, that  large  numbers  of  people  came  from  Ireland  to 
take  Communion  from  him,   on  one  occasion there  was present in 
excess of  500  people  from Co  Down.

 He  had 
his  home  at Stranraer for  ten  years  before  he  was  sent  at  the 
order  of  the  General  Assembly  to  spend  fourteen  years  at  Ancrum
in  Teviotdale. He  found  the  work  at  Ancrum  hard  going  having  to
contend  with  an  ignorant  and  loose  living  peoples and it was  some
time before  there  were  sufficient  to  take  Communion.  During  this 
time  Livingston  became  a  regular  representative  of  the  Church 
and  was  among  those  sent  to  treat  with  King  Charles  at  Breda 
in  Holland in 1650  for  the  security and  liberty of  religion. It 
was  not  a  task  he  enjoyed  as  his  was  a  method  of  ` 
moderation  and sweet  reasonableness `  often  considering  that  his 
colleaques  at  times meddled  too  much  in  government, or  kept  too 
many  meetings  that  rendered wider the  Church`s  divisions. 
Livingston, who  distrusted  the  King  anyway, had  his  fears 
confirmed  with  observation  of  the  King  still  using  the  Service
Book  and  leading  a  dissolute  life.

diffident  of  his  own  abilities, Livingstone  was  nevertheless  a
very  able  scholar  with  a  passion  for  books. He  knew  Hebrew  and 
Chaldee  with  some  Syrian; he  was  familiar  with  French, Italian,
Dutch  and  read  the  Bible  in  Spanish  and  German,  although  he 
was  forestalled  for  a  while  in  his  desire  to  learn  Arabic  by 
its  sheer  complexity.  What  such  a 
linguist  might  be  able  to 
charge  for  his  services  in  the  modern  world  one  can  only 
guess   Livingston  had  other  hidden  talents.  As  a  young  man he 
had  a  melodious  voice  and  enjoyed  singing  and  was  often 
summoned  by  the  Principal  John  Boyd  when a student at  Glasgow  to 
sing  ` setts of  musick `. In  later  years  he  did  not  sing  much,
neither  did  he  partake  often  of  another  pleasure – that of 

appointed  to  attend  on  Cromwell  in  London  during  1654 , and 
latterly  on  the  army, he  did  so  reluctantly  and was  glad  to 
return  to  Ancrum  and  his  parishioners. When  King  Charles II  was 
restored  to the throne  in 1660  he  foresaw  that  trouble  lay  ahead 
and  in 1662  it  duly  happened.  A  proclamation  was  issued  ordering 
all  ministers  from  1649  who  had  not  celebrated  the  holiday  of 
29 May ( to
celebrate the King`s birthday  and  Restoration )  to  acknowledge  the 
prelates  or  be removed  from  their posts. He  left  Ancrum  and 
lingered  for  a  while  in  Edinburgh  where  he  learnt  that  a 
summons  to  appear  before  the  Council  would  probably  result  in 
banishment  ( rather than execution )  and  he  appeared  before them on 
1 st December 1662. He  declined  to  take  oaths  and  was  sentenced 
to  remove  immediately  to  the  north side  of  the  Tay  and  to 
leave  the  Kingdom  entirely  within  two  months. On  9  April 1663  he
set  sail  for  Rotterdam.

  In  the 
years  of  his  banishment  he  remained  very  active  and  on  many 
occasions  preached  to  the  Scottish  congregation  in  Rotterdam. He 
was  joined  by  his  wife  and  two  children  in  the  December 
leaving  five  children  behind.  He  was  asked  three  times  by   the 
General  Assembly  to  write  the  history  of  the  Church  of 
Scotland   since  the  Reformation  of  1638  but  declined  to  do  so 
Instead he set  himself  the task of  revising  the  Latin  version  of 
the  Old  Testament, comparing  it  throughout  with  the  Hebrew 
version. He  intended  to  publish  it  with  parallel  columns  in the 
two  texts  but  circumstances  prevented  it although  as  a  scholar 
he  had  pleasure  in  the  task.

 He  was 
probably  seen  at  his  best in two  places; firstly  in  Killinchy 
where  incredibly 
his  stipend  was  a  mere  £4  a  year  yet  there 
was  always  a  happy  welcome for  all. . He  had  married in 1635  
Janet the  eldest  daughter  of  Bartholomew  Fleming, an Edinburgh
merchant . She  was  a  great  support  to  him through  the  lean  years 
and  the  later  troubles. Indeed, after  he  was  gone, she  was  the 
leader  of  a  group  of  women who in 1674  made  representations to 
the  Earl of  Rothes  for  fair  treatment 
of  ministers  which  resulted  in  her 
banishment  from  Edinburgh  for  a  while.

The  other 
place  where  Livingston  was  at  his  best  was  in  the  pulpit.
Diffident  as  ever  about  his  abilities  his  practice  was  to  make
short  notes  beforehand  and  to  enlarge  upon  them  when  the  time 
came.  He  sought  balance  in  his  sermons  and  at  times  indulged
in   a  ` childish  rudimentary `  as  he  described  it , aware  not  to 
be  too  clever  nor  to  omit  the  telling  saying  or  word  picture 
that  summed  up  his  point. Throughout  his  sermons  he  was  said  to 

the  eloquence  of  the  spirit  and  a  throbbing  affection  for  the 
Heavenly  Lord  and  the  souls  of  men.`

 From  about 
1664  he  suffered  continuously  with a bladder   problem , he  could 
not  walk  far  and  had  shaking  hands  that  made  writing  difficult.
It  was  perhaps  a  blessed  release  when and  on   9 August  1672  he 
died  in exile leaving  us  his  solemn  declaration:

I die  in  the  Faith  that  the  truths  of  God, which  he  hath 
helped  the  Church of Scotland to own, shall  be  owned by  him  as
truths, so  long  as  the  sun  and  moon  endure “.