Conventicler, Prisoner on the Bass, banished

 Fast iEcclesiae
Scoticanae, H Scott (1915) rev 1917, 1920
vol 7 p 40 Kiltearn, 1654.


THOMAS HOG, born Tain,
1628, “of honest parents, native highlanders somewhat above the vulgar
rank” educated at Grammar School, Tain, and Marischal College, Aberdeen;
M.A. (1650) became chaplain at Dunrobin to John, Earl of Sutherland; licen.
in 1654; had calls from Golspie and other parishes; ord. 24th Oct. that
year. He oined the Protesters; dep. by the Synod July 1661; deprived by
Act of Parliament and Decreet of Privy Council 1st Oct. 1662. He retired
to the farmhouse of Knockoudie in Auldearn, where he continued to preach
and dispense the sacraments, and memorable communions were observed in a
sheltered hollow of the Hills of the Arstill, known as ” Hog’s Strype.” In
1668 a complaint was made to the Privy Council by Murdoch, Bishop of
Moray, whereupon H. was imprisoned in Forres, but after some months was
liberated unconditionally through the intervention of the Earl of

Orders were again given for his imprisonment in June 1674, and Letters of
Intercommuning were issued against him on 6th Aug. 1675, forbidding all
persons to harbour or assist him in any way. In Jan. 1677 he voluntarily
surrendered to the Earl of Moray, was removed to Edinburgh Tolbooth and
sent to the Bass Rock, where he became seriously ill. An Edinburgh
physician who was called to see him, petitioned the Council for his
release, to which some of the members were disposed, but Archbishop Sharp
stated ” the prisoner did and was in a capacity to do more hurt to their
interests sitting in his elbow chair than twenty others could, and if the
justice of God was pursuing him to take him off the stage, the clemency of
the Government should not interpose to hinder it.” He was accordingly
confined more closely than before. On hearing his sentence he exclaimed in
bed, “It was as severe as if Satan himself had penned it.” On 9th Oct.
that year he was brought back to the Tolbooth, but was again returned to
the Bass until set at liberty with others in July 1679, cont] July 1679,
giving bond for 10,000 merks to appear before the Council when called. He
remained unmolested till 8th Nov. 1683 when he was fined £277 and
committed prisoner at Edinburgh till the fine was paid. Having decided to
quit the country he petitioned to that effect and was enjoined to depart
within forty-eight hours.

He lived for a year in Berwick-upon-Tweed and in 1685 found his way to
London, intending to sail to Carolina, but he was apprehended on suspicion
of being concerned in the Rebellion of the Duke of Monmouth. On being
freed he fled to Holland, where he became chaplain to William, Prince of
Orange. He returned to Scotland early in 1688, and being restored by Act
of Parliament, 25th April 1690, was a member of Assembly that year. He was
appointed one of the King’s chaplains and was preparing to remove to
London, but died after a long and painful sickness, 4th Jan.1692, He was
buried by his own request in the doorway of the parish church, where may
be seen the following inscription on his tomb “This stone shall bear
witness against the parishioners of Kiltearn if they bring ane ungodly
minister in here.” A commemorative slab was placed in the parish church
and the Hog Memorial Church was erected in the village of Evanton. He marr.
after 12th April 1656, the sister of John Hay of Inshock and Park, cadet
of Errol (she died s.p.).