David  Hackston.

a  lesser  light among  the  Covenanters in  terms  of  preaching , David 
Hackston  of  Rathillet, stands  tall  among  the  soldiers  of  the 
Covenant  as the leader  of  “The  Cameronians “  as 
the  armed 
supporters of Richard Cameron became  known.  Hackston came  from  an  old Scottish  and 
reasonably  well  off  family  in  the  Parish  of  Kilmany, Fife  whose 
ancestry  goes  back  to  Sir  John  de  Haukerston  who  swore  fealty 
to  King  Edward I  in  1296. The  area  is  also  known  as  Halkertoun 
and  the  family  name  was  often  given  as  Halkerston. David  Hackston 
or  Halkerston  was  heir  to  his  father James  on 3 March  1670  and 
on  his  death  in  1680  the  estates  passed  to  his  nephew  Robert 
Halkerston. David  Hackstone  was  present  at  two  Declarations  – the 
Sanquhar  Declaration  and  the  Rutherglen  Declaration , and  was 
likely  to  have  been  at  many  other  important  events  doing  his 
duty  as  the  able  lieutenant  and  bodyguard. As  a  soldier  of  the 
Covenant  he  was   present  at  the Magus  Moor  assassination  of 
Archbishop  Sharp; he fought  valiantly at  Drumclog ;  Bothwell  Brig
and  Ayrsmoss. But he rests  in  memory   as  having  suffered  a 
dreadful  death  for his beliefs and doing his  duty.

  Saturday  3rd  May  1679

first  come  across  David  Hackston  the soldier  in  1679  when  he 
was  a  member  of  a  group  of  Covenanters  who  had  determined  to 
chastise  William  Carmichael, a  drunken  and  dissolute magistrate 
who had  been appointed  to  be  Sheriff  depute  of 
Fife. He had  been  particularly energetic  pursuing  Covenanters
and was not averse to brutality or from filling his own pockets with
illegal fines.
It is  not  clear  whether  they  intended  to  kill  the  Sheriff  or 
merely  frighten  him  off, be  that  as  it  may,  but on  the day 
fortune  seemed  to  conspire  against  them  and  their  quarry  eluded 

about  midday  on  Saturday  3rd  of  May  1679  the party  were  at 
Ceres  saying  their  goodbyes  prior  to  dispersing  when  a  farm  boy 
came  running  to  them  with  the  news  that  the  Archbishop Sharp 
himself  would  be  passing in a few  minutes. After  brief  discussion 
Hackston  was  elected  leader  for  the  new  challenge  but  he 
declined  on  the  grounds  that  he  had  a  known private  grievance 
with  Archbishop  Sharp ( concerning rents) and  it 
would  detract  from  the  testimony  of 
action  taken  by  the  Covenanters. 

Balfour  of  Kinloch, nicknamed  Burley, who was  David  Hackston`s 
brother  in  law, took  the  lead  and  rode  to  intercept  the  coach
closely  followed  by  James  Russell  of  Kettle, George  Fleming  and 
George  Balfour; David  Hackston, Andrew  and  Alexander  Henderson,
William  Daniel  and  Andrew  Gillan.. They  knew  that  the  Archbishop`s 
daughter, Isabel, was  in  the  coach  and  were  anxious  to  avoid 
harm  coming  to  her and  demanded  that  Sharp  come  out  of  the 
coach . But  he  refused  to  do  so, and  in  anger  Fleming  and 
George  Balfour  shot  at  him  seated  within, while  others  thrust  at 
him  with  their  swords. Seemingly , despite  this  onslaught , Sharp 
was  not  injured  and  was  given  away  by  his  daughter  sobbing  “
there`s  life  yet “

told  Sharp  that  they  were  not  slaying  him  from  personal  malice 
but  for  causing  the  death  of  Covenanters, They  shot  at  him 
again  in  the  coach  and  one  stabbed  him. Finally  Sharp  emerged 
and  crawled  to  the  mounted  figure  of  Hackston  to ask for 
protection . Hackston  said  that  he  would  not  lay  a hand  upon him 
and  the  others  with  swords drawn turned  to complete  their  deed. Too
late  Hackston  tried to  intercede  but  the  murder  on  Magus  Moor 
had  taken  place and  there  would  soon  be  a  terrible  vengance 
exacted  for  it. Not  only  for  David  Hackston  but  for  five 
prisoners  taken  at  Bothwell  Brig  who  had  nothing  whatsoever  to 
do  with  the  assassination  who  were  hanged on Magus  Muir  on 25
November  1681 in retribution. The five  were  Thomas  Brown, James  Wood,
Andrew  Sword, John  Waddel  and  John  Clyd.

Sunday 1st June  1679

 On  the 
29th  May   1679  at  aboiut  seven  o`clock  in  the  evening  some
 seventy  or  eighty armed  men  appeared  in  the streets  of  Rutherglen 
led  by  Sir  Robert  Hamilton , in  whose  company  road  David  Hackston,
John Balfour and  James  Russell.  It  was  a  day  of  celebration  for 
The  King`s  Restoration  and a  bonfire  was  blazing  in  the  street 
which  the  men  doused. They  went  to  the  Town  Cross  and  there 
read  a  declaration  condemning  the  government  for  its  actions 
since  1660  and  then, lighting  their  own  fire,  burnt  the  Acts  of 
Parliament  and  of  the  Privy  Council  which  had  been  against  the

Claverhouse and  his  troops  were  at  Falkirk  and, hearing  of  the 
demonstration, immediately  set  out  to  arrest  the  perpetrators. On 
the  way  he  seized  a  Presbyterian  chaplain  and  some  fourteen 
other  people  who  were  tied  together  in  pairs  and  driven  along 
in  front  of  the  horsemen. They  had  stopped  for  the  night  at 
Strathaven  when  Claverhouse  learnt  of  a  proposed  conventicle 
nearby  at  Loudon  Hill. where  Thomas  Douglas  was  due to  preach  and
he  decided  to  attack  it  the  following  morning, Sunday  1st June.

Claverhouse  was  suprised  to  find  that  there  was  an  armed  look 
out  who  gave  warning  to  the  assembled  throng, and  that  there 
were  others  present  with  arms. These included  Sir  Robert  Hamilton
with  his  Rutherglen  bodyguard, Henry  Hall  of  Haughead, William 
Cleland  of  Douglas,  John  Balfour, James  Russell  and  David  Hackston. 
In  all  there  were  some  forty  horsemen, fifty  footmen  carrying 
guns  and  about  150  with  ancient  halberds  and  farm  pitchforks 
who  had  girded  their  loins  to  do  battle  with  roughly  the  same 
number  of  troops.

Covenanters  had  chosen  their  ground  well  and  the  bog  that  lay 
between  them  and  Claverhouse  came  quickly  to  their  assistance.
Claverhouses  troopers  were  unable  to  find  a  way  through  and 
struggled  in  the  morass  while  the  Covenanters , knowing  their  way 
through  the  better,  charged  upon  them  furiously.  In  no  time  at 
all  the  troopers  were  overcome  and  they  turned  and  fled  with 
Claverhouse  among  them, not  stopping  until  they  had  reached 
Glasgow  and  the protection  of  Lord  Ross`s  regiment.  Thus  ended 
the  Covenanter  victory  at  Drumclog

  Sunday  22  June  1679

filled  with  the  taste  of  victory  the  numbers  of   the 
Covenanting  army  grew  rapidly  to  about  six  thousand.  With 
hindsight  one  wonders  if  the  gallant  band  had  pursued  Claverhouse 
into  Glasgow, where  the  Covenanters  had  supporters, they  might 
have  forced  him  to  flee  to  Edinburgh.  But  they  did  not  and 
before  the Covenanters  returned   to  Glasgow Lord  Ross  had  time  to 
barricade  the  main  streets and  placed  musketeers  at  vantage 
points. On  the  Monday  morning  the  Covenanters  appeared  and  split 
into  two  parties  but  their  assault  was  futile  and  was  repulsed. 

followed  a  lull  in  activity  until  the  morning  of  Friday  6th 
June  when  the  strengthened  Covenanter  forces  drew  up  outside 
Glasgow.  and  awaited  the  orders  of  their  leader, Sir  Robert 
Hamilton  of  Preston  and  Fingalton.  What  followed , however, was 
great  dissension  among  the  people  brought  about  by  Hamilton`s 
stubborn insistence  that he  would  not  accept in  his  army  those 
who  had  accepted  the  Indulgences  (concessions  by  the  Crown 
that  allowed Presbyterian  ministers  to  return  to  their  churches 
and  preach  under  certain  severe conditions ).  While  the  arguements 
and  dissension  went  on  the  Royalist  numbers  increased  to  about 
15,000  as  support  arrived  from  London  led  by  King  Charles` son,
the  Duke  of  Monmouth.

last  minute  entreaties  Hamilton  finally  gave  battle  even  though 
his  force  had  shrunken  by  several  thousands  because  of  his 
stubborn  refusal  of  help  from  other  Presbyterians.  The 
Covenanters  did  their  best  but  badly  led  and  unsupported  in  the 
field  it  was  left  to  the  likes  of  David  Hackston  to  hold  the 
Bothwell  Bridge  for  many  hours.  With  but  three  hundred  men  of 
Galloway they  fought  most  valiantly  to  hold  their  ground; they 
begged  for  reinforcements, but  none  came; they  pleaded  for  more 
ammunition  but  none  came. Hamilton  finally  gave  the  order  to 
fall  back  and  Hackston  and  his  warriors  did  so  followed, much 
to  Hackstons`s discontent, by  the  Royalist  artillery  that  they  had 
fought  so  hard  to  contain  and  which  would  soon  cut  the 
Covenanters  to  pieces. 

Bothwell  Brig  was  lost  through  bad  management, stubborn  pride,
divisiveness  and  self  interest. Over  four  hundred  Covenanters  died,
and  about  twelve  hundred  were  taken  prisoner. Two  ministers  were 
executed  at  the  Mercat Cross; five  Covenanters  who  had  nothing 
whatsoever  to  do  with  the  assassination  of  Archbishop  Sharp  were 
taken  to  Magus  Moor  and  executed.  There  followed  the  ordeal of 
imprisonment  in   the  Greyfriars  Prison from  which some  escaped,
several  hundred  were  released on  their  pledge  of  good  behaviour, 
and  the  residual  two hundred  and  fifty  seven  condemned  to 
slavery  and  sent  aboard  the  ill  fated 
“ Crown “  bound  for  the 
American colonies.


 So  we 
come  to  the  last  battle  of  David  Hackston  who  was  in  the 
party  totalling  about  60  that  travelled  with  Richard  Cameron  on 
Thursday  22  July  1680 .  They   were  suprised  by  about  120 troops 
under  Bruce  of  Earlshall . Richard  Cameron  and  his brother  Michael 
were  killed along  with  seven others.; five  were  captured and  of 
these  two  died  of  their  wounds. The  killed  were :

             Rev Richard  Cameron                       Michael  Cameron

            John  Gemmel                                    John  Hamilton

            James  Gray                                         Robert 

            Capt. John Fowler                               Thomas  Watson

            Robert  Paterson

the  prisoners  was  David  Hackston  who  in  the fight had  wounded 
many  and  was  finally  taken  by  three  dragoons  who  attacked  from 
behind  while  he  fought  another with  sword in  hand. In  no  time 
the  prisoners were  taken  to  Edinburgh  in  a  caravan  of  soldiers 
rejoicing  in  their  victory  and  displaying  the  hacked  off  head 
of  Richard  Cameron  to  the  people. Two  died  on  the  way  leaving 
Archibald  Alison  of Evandale  and  John  Malcolm  of  St  Johns  Dalry
who  were  executed  on 13 August  1680; and, their  leader  David 
Hackston  for  whom   an  especially  grisly execution  was  ordered.
He  was  sentenced  to a barbarous  and  revengeful  death. –  to
be  drawn  backwards  on  a  hurdle  to  the  Mercat Cross  and  there : 

 “ at the 
cross  of  Edinburgh, and  there  upon  a  high  scaffold  erected  a 
little  above  the  cross have his right  hand  struck  off  and  after 
some  time to have  his  left   hand struck off, and then to be hanged up
and cut down alive, and the bowels taken out, and his heart to be shown to
the people by the hand of the hangman, and his heart and bowels to be
burnt in the presence of the people, in a fire prepared for that purpose
upon the scaffold, and afterwards to have his head cut  off, and his body 
divided into four quarters, and his head to be affixed  on the Netherbow,
and  one of his quarters with both of his  hands  to be affixed  at St
Andrews, another quarter at Glasgow, the third at Leith , the fourth at
Burntisland, and that none presume to be in mourning for him, nor he to
have a coffin, and that none be on the scaffold  with him but two baillies,
four officers, the executioner and his servants, and this sentence to be
put in execution against him this thirtieth day of July instant,betwixt
three and five o`clock in the afternoon.  And  ordained his name, fame,
memory; and honours to be extinct, and his arms to be riven and delete 
furth of the books of arms, so that his posterity may never be able to

[ hold ] or joyse [ enjoy ] any lands, heritage, titles of dignities.within this
realm in time comming.

from the original order by  Rev J H Thomson in `The Martyr Graves
of Scotland `

 head  was  fixed  alongside  Richard  Cameron`s  at the Netherbow  gate
and  both  were  lifted  higher  than  other  martyred  souls displayed

perverse  it  is  that  this  vile  manner  of  execution  by  hanging,
drawing  and  quartering,  seems  to  be  reserved  for  the  bravest  of 
the  brave  like  David  Hackston  who  had  this  death  in common  with 
another Scottish  warrior , the  great Sir William  Wallace.